Lectures, Anti-Lectures & Workshops
- Haunted Books: Bibliography, Bibliomancy, and Reading Dead Readers. For 14 students. Community High School Lycée. Roanoke, VA. Feb. 21, 2017.
- A Fan's Introduction to Heavy Metal. w/ L. Kinsley. For 12 students. Community High School Lycée. Roanoke, VA. Feb. 11, 2016.
- Raucous Noise & Infernal Galops: Noise & Dance in the Romanticist Avant-Garde, 1830-1840. 90-minute lecture & workshop. AfterMAF Festival, Art Rat Studios, Roanoke, VA. July 10, 2016.
- Fucking Awesome Dead Avant-Gardists. Two short performative
micro-lectures on Berthe Courrière and the Mapah Ganneau. AfterMAF
Festival, Art Rat Studios, Roanoke, VA. July 8-9, 2016.
- Highlights From the Revenant Archive. 2-hour lecture & demonstration. The Revenant Archive, Roanoke, VA. July 8, 2016.
- Freed From a Parchment Jail: Avant-Garde Romanticism in the Revenant Archive. Guest Speaker for the Aldus Society; 60-min lecture on the Revenant Archive's holdings relating to the French Romanticist Avant-Garde. The Thurber Center, Columbus, OH. April 14, 2016.
- The Poetics of Phonetic Poetry: Composition & Interpretation. 90-min. Performance & Lecture for approx. 10 students for Poetry in Performance class, taught by T.J. Anderson. Hollins University. Roanoke, VA. March 10, 2016.
- The History of Zine, Micropress, & Underground Publishing. Talk & archival exploration for eight students, ages 14-18. Community High School Lycée. Roanoke, VA. Feb. 11, 2016.
- From Salt Marsh to Star City: A History of the Long Lick and Downtown Roanoke. Historical walking tour. 70 min. with Star City Shadow School. Roanoke, VA. Aug. 23, 2015.
- Poetry, Camaraderie, and Revolt: The Poets of the Bousingot. Lecture
& reading of 14 poems by O'Neddy, Bertrand, Borel, Nerval,
Gautier, Brot, and Boulanger. 1 hour. AfterMAF, Art Rat Studios,
Roanoke, VA. July 10, 2015.
- Reading Dead Readers: Past owners of the Revenant Archive. Presentation
on bibliography, marginalia, avant-garde reading practices &
the Revenants Archive. Approx. 90 min. AfterMAF, Art Rat Studios,
Roanoke, VA. July 10, 2015.
- Hung Overs Storytelling. w/W. Fry, W. Katastrof, R. Eaton & T. Russotti. 45 min. Liminal Gallery, Roanoke, VA. April 3, 2015.
- Charles Fourier: Order of the Future Creations. w/Wilheim Katastrof. 2 hours. Marginal Lycée: Community High School, Roanoke, VA. March 26, 2014.
- The Art and Science of Alchemy. w/Jen Sosnowski. 1 hour. Marginal Lycée: Community High School, Roanoke, VA. March 26, 2014. (Repeated with some changes at CHS Lycée, Feb. 11, 2016.)
- Micropress & Zine Workshop. Led 3-hour workshop for 6 students to produce three zines. Marginal Lycée: Community High School, Roanoke, VA. March 25-27, 2014.
- Interpreting the Ursonate. 1.5 hour presentation for 13 students on the process & poetics of interpreting Schwitters' score. Hollins University, Roanoke, VA. March 18, 2014.
- Deflating Duchamp: The 180-Year History of the Readymade. Delivered 1.75-hour polemic lecture as part of the Roanoke Marginal Arts Festival. June M. McBroom Theater, Roanoke, VA. March 29, 2013.
- Archiving & Praxis in the 19th Century Avant-Garde. Delivered 2-hour lecture as part of Roanoke Marginal Arts Festival. Roanoke, VA. March 29, 2013.
- 'Zine Workshop. Led 2-hour workshop with five students to produce chapbook for use in performance poetry class led by John M. Bennett & C. Mehrl Bennett. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. March 28, 2013.
- Experimental Writing Workshop. Designed & led three 1.5-hour sessions reading, writing, and discussing alternative modes of writing for 11 students, ages 14-18. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. March 26-28, 2013.
- A Secret History of the 19th Century: The Story of the Early Avant-Gardes. Delivered 3-hour storytelling-lecture on the history of the avant-garde from 1825-1850 for live audience and live internet stream. Liminal Gallery, Roanoke, VA. Dec. 2, 2012.
- Sound Poetry in Performance Workshop. Led performance workshop focusing on sound poetry for 12 students. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. May 2, 2012.
- Archiving Counter-Culture in the 19th Century. Discussion and sharing of 19th Century Counter-culture archive as part of Marginal Arts Festival. Roanoke, VA 2012.
- Somasemia: Poems Wearing Meat-Suits. Lecture & Demonstration on Sound Poetry, Semiotics, and the Body as part of Marginal Arts Festival. Exclamations, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 17, 2012.
- Dada and Its Legacy. 90-minute lecture & discusion on heterogeneity of the Dada community and its legacy in subsequent avant-garde communities. Hollins University, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 16, 2012.
- Reconstructing Huelsenbeck's 'Plane': History, Poetics, Dramaturgy. 90-minute lecture & demonstration examining historical & textual evidence of performance methodologies for Dada Bruitist Poems performed 1916-1922. Hollins University, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 16, 2012.
- Orchestral Music in Avant-Garde Romanticism.
Hosted and team-taught w/Chris Lennard & Terri Lennard 3-hour
class on Romanticist music and community for 15 participants. Star City
Shadow School, Roanoke, VA. Aug. 27, 2011.
- Arts & Community Symposium. Organised and
chaired panel discussion w/K.Buchholz (US), P. Carter (UK), & A.
Zierle (Germany). Hollins University, Roanoke VA. March 7, 2011.
- Somasemia: Poems Wearing Meat-Suits. Lecture & Demonstration given at the 2nd Avant-Writing Symposium. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. Aug. 20, 2010.
- Guest Lecturer, Bergen Community College. Lecture/Demonstration on asemic writing, the Eternal Network, sound poetry, and Fluxus for approx. 20 students. Paramus, NJ. May 8, 2010.
- Flux-Tour. Co-organized tour of historical Fluxus sites in New Brunswick, NJ. w/W. Fry, T. Butkovic, & Geof Hendricks. New Brunswick, NJ. April 18, 2010.
- Workshop on Mail Art, Performance Poetry, and Fluxus. w/J. Leftwich, K. Buchholz, G. Huth, W. Fry, & T. Butkovic. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. Feb 15, 2010.
- From Poetic Declamation to Performance Poetry: Voicing Poetry Through the 19th Century. Lecture at 3rd Annual Roanoke Marginal Arts Festival, with readings of texts by Coleridge, Carroll, Hood, Poe, Jarry, & Mallarmé. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 14, 2010.
- Guest Lecturer, American University. Lecture/Demonstration on asemic communication through correspondence art and performance poetry for approx. 45 students. w/demonstrations by W. Fry, B. Chriss, J. Mathews, & T. Campbell. American University, Washington, D.C. Sept. 10, 2009.
- Experimental Poetry Workshop. w/ J. Leftwich, R. Altemus, T. Butkovic, & E. Damerow. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 23, 2009.
- Radish Art vs. the Babelonian Empire. Advisor in debate between W. Fry. & Miss Ricketts. Oromancer, New Brunswick, NJ. June 7, 2008.
- What the Fuck is Post-NeoAbsurdism? Lecture & powerpoint presentation w/W. Fry & E.Damerow. Lost & Found Gallery, New Brunswick, NJ. May 10, 2008.
- Experimental Poetry workshop. w/ J. Leftwich, R. Altemus, T. Butkovic, & E. Damerow. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 23, 2008.
- Panel Disussion on Experimental Poetry w/J.M. Bennett & T.J. Anderson. Roanoke Marginal Arts Festival, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 2, 2007.
- Experimental Poetry Workshop. w/ J. Leftwich. Community High School, Roanoke, VA. Feb. 4, 2007.
- What Isn’t Post-NeoAbsurdism. Anti-Lecture / Demonstration w/ D.B. Edwards & Amy M. Oliver. Dartington College of Arts, Devon, UK. Sept. 28, 2006.
- Contracting the Yellow Sign. Parasitic Anti-Lecture. Dartington College of Arts, Devon, UK. May 23, 2006.
- Rabbits, Tea, and the Fall of the Roman Empire. Pataphysical Mini-Lecture given at Itinerant Mirror Cabaret. King Ludd Bookshop, Exeter, Devon. April 23, 2006.
- Ubu Roi. Introductory Pataphysical Lecture at U.K. Premier of Post-Neo film of Ubu Roi. Dartington College of Arts, Devon, UK. March 28, 2006.
- The Bruitist Poem & Micro-forms in Dada Poetics. Dartington College, Devon, UK. March 13, 2006.
- Simultaneous Lecture. With W. Fry & B. Chriss at U.S. premier of Lindsann’s Ubu Roi. Cara Bar, Columbus, OH. Dec. 29, 2005.
- Analytical Psychology and Experimental Poetry and Art. Roundtable discussion w/B. Chriss & W. Fry. Jung House Gallery, Columbus, OH. April 9, 2005.